See if any of the bench press benefits can help you reach your goals. The bench press is a classic exercise, and it’s one of the best lifts you can do for you upper body (in my opinion).
Bench Press Benefits. Check out the top 5 benefits of the bench press in the list below:
- Maximum Overload the Chest Muscles. The bench press is virtually unparalleled in its ability to target the chest muscles with heavy loads. This isn’t to say that the bench press isolates the chest (the shoulders and triceps play a major role, too). Nonetheless, benching allows you to target the pecs with a boatload of weight.
- Build Muscle Mass on Your Upper Body. The bench press is a fantastic exercise for increasing muscle growth and adding some real mass to your frame. When used with a quality weight lifting routine and bodybuilding diet, the bench press is one of the most effective upper body muscle mass builders out there.
- Increase Push Strength. The bench press does work when it comes to making you stronger on push exercises. This is because it hits the chest, shoulders and triceps hard. These muscles are then made stronger for other push exercises like the barbell overhead press or dips.
- Bragging Rights. Everyone and their mom brags about their bench press strength. However, most people give inflated numbers or they have terrible form. But with proper training and technique, you’ll eventually have a bench press that’s truly worth bragging about (but I advise staying classy and not bragging out of principle 😀 ).
- Pec Dance! What sane person doesn’t want to have a solid chest and rock-hard pectorals that can move to a rhythm, and go tit-for-tat (pun intended) in pec dance-a-thons or dance-offs?… Er.. Maybe not. But, hey it’s something you can put on your resume!