Question: I want to workout with my adjustable dumbbells 3 times a week; on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday schedule.
Can you show me a 3 day dumbbell split routine that includes a forearms/abs/calves day for one of the workouts. Thank you!
Answer: Hi Josian. Thanks for the request. First off, is there any reason that you have to do a dumbbells-only routine? Dumbbell exercises are great and all... But by using only dumbbells, you miss out on a whole lot of great barbell exercises.
That said, I'll still hook you up with the 3 day dumbbell split routine that you requested:
Monday - Legs/Shoulders:
- Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squat - 3x8-10
- Dumbbell Single Leg Deadlift - 2x8-10
- Dumbbell Squat - 2x8-10
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 3x8-10
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 2x10-12
- Dumbbell Rear Deltoid Raise - 2x10-12
Wednesday - Forearms/Calves/Abs:
- Dumbbell Wrist Curls - 3x12-15
- Dumbbell Reverse Wrist Curls - 3x12-15
- Dumbbell Single Leg Standing Calf Raises - 3x8-10
- Dumbbell Standing Calf Raises - 3x8-10
- Dumbbell-Weighted Leg Raises - 2x12-15
- Dumbbell-Weighted Crunches - 3x8-10
Friday - Chest/Back/Arms:
- Dumbbell Incline Bench Press - 3x8-10
- Dumbbell Pullover - 3x8-10
- Dumbbell Rows - 3x8-10
- Dumbbell One Arm Row - 3x8-10
- Dumbbell Biceps Curl - 2x10-12
- Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extension - 2x10-12
...That should do the trick for you. As you'll see, I don't have links for all exercises; and some of the links I did provide are for the barbell variations. So if you're not sure how to do some of these, just search on Google.
To wrap things up, I'll leave you with some advice to help you get the most out of your training:
- Make it your #1 priority to learn proper technique on all exercises. It is essential to learn good form before you can worry about building muscle or lifting massive weights. Strength and mass gains will naturally come as you learn the exercises and gradually progress.
- Use the same weight for every set of an exercise (i.e. use the same weight on set 1, 2 and 3). This implies that you can't/shouldn’t go to failure on every set.
- Strive to increase the weight of each exercise on a workout-to-workout basis (e.g. if you use 50 lbs on both sets of dumbbell pullovers this Friday, then you should increase the weight to 55 lbs on the next Friday).
- See the weight lifting guide for more general advice and information on training.
Be sure to get enough rest each night and stay committed to a sound bodybuilding diet. Have fun with the program. And as I said before, consider swapping in some barbell exercises if at all possible.